***NEW RECIPE*** Yesterday Mini Afelia discovered a pack of sponge fingers and asked if we could make something nice for my youngest son. He's recently been working extra long hours due to staff being unwell or going into self isolation (he's classed a key worker under the current circumstances). Yesterday he left for work at 6am and didn't finish till 11pm ☹ so I thought it would be nice for him to come home to his favourite treat, an Italian Tiramisu (minus the alcohol). This recipe uses raw eggs, make sure you're using lion stamped eggs for this, the eggs can be replaced with double cream for anyone with an allergy. Tune into stories to watch the step by step recipe. Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine! 🌞😎 Af
ITALIAN TIRAMISU (NO ALCOHOL)
You will need:
2 - 3 tsp instant coffee granules
250ml boiling water
3 medium eggs, separated
4 tbsp granulated sugar
OR replace the eggs + mascarpone with 300ml double cream (if you have an allergy)_
24 sponge fingers
Flake or Twirl
1. Dissolve coffee granules in 250ml of boiling water - use 2 tsp if you like it weak or 3 tsp for a strong coffee taste. Leave to one side.
2. Separate egg whites from yolks, place them in 2 separate bowls. First whisk egg whites; using a hand mixer, whisk until you have stiff peaks.
3. Next, whisk egg yolks; add 1 tbsp of sugar at a time (4 tbsp in total), whisk well between each addition till the texture is creamy. Slowly add the mascarpone to this mixture, again whisk till smooth.
4. Now fold the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture, use a gentle folding motion so you don't lose the air in the egg whites. If you have an egg allergy, skip steps 2 + 3 and simply whisk 300ml double cream + 4 tbsp of sugar and use this instead.
5. Choose a dish to layer the tiramisu in. Dip sponge fingers in coffee solution, place a layer in the bottom of your dish, then add some of the mascarpone/whipped cream mixture over the top. Continue layering the sponge fingers like this with the mixture until you've used them all up. Finish by crumbling a Flake or Twirl bar over the top. Best served chilled for 3 - 4 hrs or overnight, so great for making ahead of time! Enjoy.